Chat rooms have been a popular way to use the internet to communicate with other people for decades. For a long time they were the primary online social outlet before services like MySpace, Facebook and other popular social media services replaced them. They have not only been used socially, many businesses have employed the use of chat rooms long before Slack and Zoom were around. Many of the popular apps and social websites we use today still use chat rooms especially dating services.
Although chat rooms were used a lot less frequent since the rise of today's social media, the pandemic of 2020 showed us just how important online free chat is. Suddenly overnight when most of the world was forced to stay in doors and scrolling through endless Facebook feeds and seeing the same meme's over and over would no longer cut it, the world decided they wanted to venture out and meet new people while remaining in the safety of their own home. Chat Rooms suddenly became a lot more popular.
There are multiple ways to use the internet to chat, whether it's old school text chat, audio chat via a microphone, or video chat using a webcam. Some methods are more popular than others depending on the industry or type of website you use, also the preference of the end user. While the world's internet usage has switched from desktop to mobile, chat rooms have adapted and are now fully functional on almost all mobile devices (depending on the website and type of phone you use). Although it's possible there is still a long way to go until video chatting via websites on a mobile phone is feasible to the masses.
Here's why chat rooms are suddenly getting a lot more popular and 5 reasons why you should use them:
1) Going back to our previous reference regarding the Covid pandemic of 2020. Chat rooms are a safe way of interacting with others in a somewhat uncertain world. You are instantly connected to thousands of other people from the safety and comfort of your own home. The risk is minimal in comparison to being at a crowded event or establishment to fulfill your entertaining needs.
2) Chat rooms can be used for many different outlets. Whether you're working and needing to communicate with coworkers. Researching or studying a specific subject? I bet there is a chat room for that. Socially chatting with random people, making friends or just seeking like-minded people. Many people have met their spouses in online chat rooms, online dating is very common and chat rooms serve a purpose in this criteria.
3) Going through a tough time or difficulty in your life? Sometimes talking to a complete stranger in a safe environment can be a great help and shed light on the issue you're having. Getting feedback without prejudice from a neutral source could be the insight you need to overcome your problem. It could be a lot easier to open up to a stranger especially if it's a sensitive issue.
4) Chat rooms are more engaging and entertaining than other social media outlets. You get to chat on the fly to real people, here voices and opinions about specific subjects and talk in a free flowing chat room of open conversation.
5) Depending on the type of website or chat app you use, it's possible to connect instantly to many people who have the same interests as you. If you like a certain type of TV show, have a specific condition, are looking for something unique or anything else. You can privately engage with other like-minded people with ease.